Welcome to our page. We are so excited to have a convenient way to keep our students updated on all the tools they will need to get a good education and a solid career plan in place. We hope you will check back often for important dates, helpful web links, and loads of scholarship opportunities. THS has two full time counselors for your academic and emotional needs. Mrs. Meyers handles all freshman and sophomore cases and Ms. Poole is counselor for all juniors and seniors. Mrs. Meyers can be reached at (405) 598-2113 ext 6007 and Ms. Poole is (405) 598-2113 ext 6006. We want your experience at THS to be the best ever. Come see us, drop us an email or give us a call for the answers you are needing.
Headed to college or career tech following graduation? You will need to start the application process for FAFSA. This is a series of documents used to determine your qualifications for financial aid in order to help pay for expenses. Every school will require this application to be completed at the time of enrollment. It's a little long (so make some time) and somewhat complicated but we are here to help. You will need to see Ms. Poole to complete the process. Applications open October 1, 2020 for the Class of 2021. Gather the following personal records before you begin the process:
- your parents' tax information for the 2019 tax year
- month and year parents were married and/or divorced
- parents' birth dates and birth years
- parents' email address
When you have these papers in place you can follow the link to the left called FAFSA. This is a free service. Refrain from using any website that wants to charge you a fee. There are plenty of things that have to be paid for later. FAFSA is free--Don't pay for this service!
Attention Mid term Graduates--
If you will be graduating in December 2020, you must see Ms. Poole as soon as possible to start the exit process paperwork. There are several very important things to do including completing an academic transcript evaluation. Don't assume that you have taken every class needed for graduation until you talk to the person (Ms. Poole) who can say that for sure! Also, just because you can graduate at mid-term does not mean that you cannot come back for graduation ceremonies in May. You definitely can be part of the only ceremony we offer to graduating seniors each year at the conclusion of the traditional school year. We do not have a mid term ceremony in December. Just make sure to leave this campus as a good student citizen and you can come back to cross the stage when it is time in May!
CPR Certification Graduation Requirement
All seniors are required to complete a course in CPR which is offered by the high school. However, many seniors will have completed this training elsewhere, such as with an employer or as a requirement for a career tech class. The successful completion of the course elsewhere will serve as meeting the graduation requirement. However, seniors must bring this proof of certification card to Ms. Poole as soon as possible to avoid being scheduled in a class.
OKcollegestart.org is an amazing website. Use the link to your left. You can get study guides for the PSAT, SAT, ASVAB and ACT. It's got high school curriculum suggestions as well as information on Oklahoma's awesome free college plan called Oklahoma's Promise. You might be eligible. Last year to apply is sophomore year, so hurry.
College Athlete Requirements and Resources
If you are considering a college athletic career there is a lot of academic planning that must be put in place as early as your freshmen year in order to meet the requirements of the NCAA. Make sure your counselors know from the get go, you want to play sports in college. They will help make sure that you take the right classes. Here are some links that show you what is required. You can also set up an account on the NCAA student page.
- NCAA D-1 Academic Requirements
- NCAA D-2 Academic Requirements
- NCAA Student Eligibility COVID Response FAQs
- NCAA Student Account Login Page
(There is a fee to set up an account. If you receive a free or reduced lunch at school, you can get a fee waiver. See Ms. Poole for details.)
Students on all grade levels can research colleges and careers virtually 24/7 at Oklahoma Edge. Start here:
- Rose State Rep: Carleigh Woods
Date/Time: Sept. 10th, 9:20am
Join Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/99241015309
Meeting ID: 992 4101 5309
- Oklahoma City University Rep: Jaylen Jackson
Date/Time Sept. 10th, 9:30am
- CPN 4th Annual Wzhitawen College and Career Fair Date/Time Sept. 10th, 8:30 - 11:30 am You can login anytime, you do not have to stay online the whole three hours.
- Southern Nazarene University Rep: Deanna Shay
Date/Time Sept. 10th 9:25
Meeting ID: 5709395281
- Rose State Weekly Live presentations through social media!!!
Rose State YouTube Channel
- Updated Seminole State Rep: Britney Honsinger
Date/Time: Sept. 18th @ 1:00 p.m.
- Oklahoma Virtual College Fair in October!! There are 4 different days you can attend with different colleges presenting!!
Students can register for a session in each 45-minute time block. To do so, click the Student Registration link for each session of interest. If students are interested in attending sessions that are running concurrently, please continue to register for both sessions so colleges are receiving your information.
Once registered, students will receive a confirmation email with a unique link to join the Zoom webinar. Students also receive a barcode in the confirmation email; however, please note the barcode is not necessary for this virtual event.
When students register, they are sharing their registration information only with colleges presenting on that particular session. StriveScan does not sell or share personally identifiable student information with any other third parties.
Students are encouraged to attend these sessions live.
The Fair starts each night at 5:00 p.m. There are 3 session you can choose to participate in
Session 1- 5:00 - 5:45 Session 2- 6:00- 6:45 Session 3- 7:00 - 7:45
- Virtual Fair 1 Oct. 12th
- Virtual Fair 2 Oct. 13th
- Virtual Fair 3 Oct. 14th
- Virtual Fair 4 Oct. 15th
- OSU Institute of Technology is hosting our annual Career Encounters event on Tuesday, October 13th and this year the event will be going virtual. We hope that you and your students are able to join us this year! Although the format will be different, we will still be offering PROGRAM TOURS, DEMONSTRATIONS, INFORMATION SESSIONS, LIVE Q&A's, PRESENTATIONS, CAMPUS TOURS and more!
The event will be open Oct. 13th from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm.
Registration information can be found on the Zoom meetings with college reps page.
Pre-Registration is required!!
- OSUIT Career Encounters Registration Link
"Millions" of scholarships Available many not listed here-- Come see Us in the counseling suite
Horatio Alger Scholarship
Due date 10/25/2020
To be eligible to apply for any of the Horatio Alger Undergraduate Scholarships, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled full time as a high school senior in the United States; be progressing normally toward graduation in spring/summer of 2021 with plans to enter a college in the United States no later than the fall following graduation
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree at an accredited non-profit public or private institution in the United States (students may start their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution)
- Demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income is required)
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0; and
- Be a United States citizen
2021 Prudential Spirit of Community Awards
Due date 11/10/2020:
Students have you led by example through volunteering? Have you gone above and beyond to address community needs arising from COVID-19?
Now in its 26th year, The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards, sponsored by Prudential Financial in partnership with the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP), provides a wide range of opportunities to amplify the stories of today’s young change makers - and the schools that have supported them along the way. Open to students in grades 5-12 who have participated in a volunteer activity within the past year, top honorees from all 50 states and the District of Columbia are eligible to receive a scholarship, medallion and invitation to the program’s national recognition events.
Apply at https://spirit.prudential.com
• Go to the "certification" tab on the application, then email instructions to the person you selected to certify your application.
◦ Applications can be certified by a middle or high school principal, or the head of a county 4-H organization, Girl Scout council, American Red Cross chapter, YMCA or Points of Light Global Network member
Scholarship resources and Opportunities $$$
The following sites are excellent resources for scholarships. There are new scholarship opportunities available every month! Check often for updates. In addition, the Tecumseh local scholarship offerings are numerous and generous. The process for applying becomes available in the spring of 2021. You will want to try for one of those too. We will keep you updated.
Oklahoma City Community Foundation These scholarships are only available to students in Oklahoma!! Make sure to check this site regularly, new scholarships are added throughout the year!!
Raise Me are micro-scholarships at the University of Oklahoma that students with a 3.5 GPA can start earning from their freshman year of high school.
Raise Me is a website where students can start earning scholarships to lots of different colleges beginning in the freshman year of high school.